As time passes, so does a month of collecting dividend income. Five wild months are already in the books and the sun is shining here in Cleveland. Talk about a rarity these days. As spring is upon us, I think, it’s time to see what the 5th month of dividend income was able to bring. Now to the results
This month, I received a total of $206.54. This was another record May month that I have ever had, especially in comparison to last year’s dismal $78.29 in income, huge jump!
Similarly, I have split out between the individual stock amounts and the retirement accounts, as the ” – R” indicates a Roth IRA dividend (or the furthest column to the right, I forgot the “R” on O). I separate these two, as I like to know what portion of my dividend income is coming from those retirement accounts that I cannot touch until 59.5 (barring any other usage rule I could use). Here, it shows that I received a total of $45.44 or 22% of my income from retirement accounts and the other 78% was from my individual taxable account portfolio. To see my portfolio – one can go to our portfolio summary page.
Now, I look back at 2014 May’s total. The total then was $78.29. From a pure percentage stand point, a growth rate of 163.81% isn’t too shabby if you ask me. If I keep that up, this time next year will be over $338, I wouldn’t doubt that that is where it will be. Fairly spread out and not one huge dividend payment like I had last month with PM. Having a total of 10 soldiers out there this month feels great, given it’s a slower month for me usually. It’s my own little organization that is bringing money to my door and, I’m keeping that one unlocked! This essentially would cover more than all of my utilities for the month, good to know that I’m taken care of here. My investments into health care REITs last year and even more recently in my bigger HCP stock purchase late at the end of May – really come into play for the May dividend income stream – really looking forward to what the future has in store from here. Of course, my large purchases into Caterpillar should help pave the way for future/higher income streams, loving it!
Dividend Income Increases
Nothing too wild from this standpoint. I didn’t own, outside of Pepsi (small $4.94 bump in overall projected income for me), many of the companies in our post about the aristocrat increases expected in May. June should be a fun month as Target is on the list to set to increase in June, wonder if it’ll be as strong as last year’s dividend growth!
Conclusion & Summary
As I discussed back then with my normal monthly expenditures at the moment, this $206 covers 22% of my average $942 monthly expense for my house, including utilities. This covers my utilities and even the majority of a grocery bill if that would be the case. Also, this is close to my current 1/2 payment of my mortgage or 1/2 of a monthly property tax assessment (damn you county!). All of the investing from last year and moves this year, show being frugal to save 60% of my income help me in achieving lofty goals that I set in place for my 2015 year. I am looking forward to the Month of June, as the quarter ends are my favorite and really want to beat my last year’s total of June dividend income of $753 How did everyone’s May go? Surpass and crush your prior Mayl? Marching closer to covering your monthly expenses? Would love to hear about it, post on below and share your stories and thoughts, thanks!