As time passes, so does a month of collecting dividend income. Four wild months are already in the books and the sun is shining here in Cleveland. Talk about a rarity these days. As spring is upon us, I think, it’s time to see what the 4th month of dividend income was able to bring and it marks 1/3 of the year being over. Now to the results
This month, I received a total of $312.84. This was a record April month that I have ever had, especially in comparison to last year’s April of 2013 dividend income.
Similarly, I have split out between the individual stock amounts and the retirement accounts, as the ” – R” indicates a Roth IRA dividend (or the furthest column to the right, I forgot the “R” on O). I separate these two, as I like to know what portion of my dividend income is coming from those retirement accounts that I cannot touch until 59.5 (barring any other usage rule I could use). Here, it shows that I received a total of $28.75 or 9.2% of my income from retirement accounts and the other 90.8% was from my individual taxable account portfolio. To see my portfolio – one can go to our portfolio summary page.
Now, I look back at 2014 April’s total. The total then was $147.70. From a pure percentage stand point, a growth rate of 111.81% isn’t too shabby if you ask me. If I keep that up, this time next year will be over $624, I would be pretty happy with that. As you can see, there were a few stocks that have started paying amazing dividends, including Philip Morris (PM), that paid a whopping $80 over to me in April, thanks for me making a decision to selling LO an scooping them up instead, I’ll take it. Having 9 different companies outside of retirement accounts paying me is very cool! It’s my own little organization that is bringing money to my door and, I’m keeping that one unlocked! My April next year is already projected to be higher, so the future looks bright, bright indeed. $312.84 for the month – this covers my auto loan with $30 to spare – so I can say it covers an auto loan (damn debt) and my internet then for my house? Not too bad.
Dividend Income Increases
Here is where the fun begins or continues? I love this dividend investing journey and cannot be more ecstatic about a few dividend growth increases my portfolio brought to the house this month. Here is the chart to show the dividend increases, including the before and after:
Pumped. PG had a dismal 3% increase, that MDP definitely let his thoughts out. However – IBM more than made up for it with a whopping 18% dividend income increase! They raised their quarterly distribution from $1.10 per quarter to $1.30 per quarter or from $4.40 per year to $5.20 per year, loving this, thank goodness I bought them multiple times, definitely made the biggest impact to the portfolio. I also purchased JNJ during the month and hours later, their dividend increase of over 7% came across the screen, so I picked up a little more in mere hours, not a bad day at all. KMI has continued with their statement on wanting to have a target dividend amount and this month proved they are still on the track – Thank you! Overall, the dividend increases added $28.09 to the projected income amount – I am definitely happy about that, in a single month, perfect! This goes to show why the dividend growth rate is crucial for your portfolio. Also very excited about what May will bring, beginning next week! (I am calling it – dividend increase to Pepsi on Tuesday May 5th)
Conclusion & Summary
As I discussed back then with my normal monthly expenditures at the moment, this $313 covers 33% of my average $942 monthly expense for my house, including utilities. It’s nice knowing that a slower month of dividends is already covering 1/3 of my living expenses for the house. This is something I never stop to really think about. All of the investing from last year and moves this year, show being frugal to save 60% of my income help me in achieving lofty goals that I set in place for my 2015 year. I am looking forward to the Month of May, further dividend increases, making some purchases hopefully and receiving a nice reinvested dividend income month (Day 1 and I have already received $82, wahoo!). How did everyone’s April go? Surpass and crush your prior April? Marching closer to covering your monthly expenses? Would love to hear about it, post on below and share your stories and thoughts, thanks!