Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving weekend! Not only does that mean that the Holiday season has started up, but it also means that November has wound down, with one more month left to go in 2016. The dividends are officially in and I’d like to share, compare and go over the results! Let me put my rake away, from the last fall of leaves, and bring out my November dividend income for the month.
This was another record month in November, I received a total of $321.54. Very consistent names here, with a decent number of entities sending checks my way, see the table below.
With the 13 different entities paying me above, this is greater than the 11 at this point last year. When seeing the comparison, below, the two different pops really come from Citizens and Northern (CZNC) and Norwood Financial (NWFL) within my retirement accounts. What’s funny is that Kraft (KHC) paid a dividend last year in November, but this year it was in October, therefore, the results are even better than what it appears, when looking at it year over year.
Similarly, I have split out between the individual stock amounts and the retirement accounts, as the ” – R” indicates a Roth IRA dividend (or the furthest column to the right, I forgot the “R” this time). I separate these two, as I like to know what portion of my dividend income is coming from those retirement accounts that I cannot touch until 59.5 (barring any other usage rule I could use). Here, it shows that I received a total of $160.03 or 49.7% of my income from retirement accounts and the other 50.3% was from my individual taxable account portfolio. This is the first time I’ve ever seen this close of a split! $160 is up from $73 last year and this shows from retirement accounts that I’m all ready for my set it and forget it mentality to keep that income going. To see my portfolio – one can go to our portfolio summary page.
dividend income year over year comparison
Overall, the growth stood at $27.97 or 9.52% from last year to this year. That is very strong and I’ll take an almost 10% increase any day! Additionally, when looking at the individual stocks, outside of my best friend Kinder Morgan (KMI), the income is higher per entity that has paid me (HCP was split down due to spin-off). What’s funny is hw large the percentage increases are for some. Such as Realty Income (O) growing at 10.29% and Senior Housing (SNH) at 9.7%. Don’t worry, AT&T (T) is hanging tight at 7.41% growh year over year. I’m loving. Based on the 9.52% growth experienced this year, November of 2017 (using the same rate) should end up being over $350! That is without considering any new/additional purchases. Looking forward to 2017, that’s for sure.
Okay, okay, not too bad here. November did not showcase an immense amount of growth, but I had 3 solid companies increase their dividend. Emerson (EMR) kept it’s “great” track record for minimal dividend growth from last year, and then Rockwell Automation (ROK) came in with a much smaller pump compared to last year. That’s okay, as Chimera (CIM) swung in to pinch hit this month (not expected, at all). There were a few entities I was hoping would increase in November, and that was Intel Corp (INTC) and Canadian Imperial (CM). December, maybe?
Dividend Income Conclusion & Summary
Though it was only 9.52% growth year over year, it is positive and in the right direction. I know that consistency and time in the market will continue to increase this income year, after year and out of the 13 companies above, 6 had dividend increases (not calculating any foreign currency translation). Very lucky and fortunate! Now, just to turn that 6 to a 13…
As I discussed with my NEW updated – normal monthly expenditures at the moment, this $322 would cover 33% of my average $984 monthly expense for my house, including utilities; up from last year and covers all of my utilities and house insurance. All of the investing from last year and moves this year, show being frugal to save 60% of my income, that every dollar counts, has helped me in achieving lofty goals that I set in place for my 2016 year. However, we all know that I am VERY excited for 2017 to come!
Ready for December already? This is going to be a great month for all dividend investors, I can feel it. I truly cannot wait for midnight on Wednesday, as the mailbox will start populating quite a bit with dividend checks! Are you excited for December? I know I’m getting ahead of myself and forgot to ask – how did your November turn out? Happy with the results? Any last minute actions before the year is over? Thank you for coming by and please share your feedback, comments and thoughts below!